Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Sweet Ch. 5 - Big Ears

Big ears huh? I wonder if the amount of wax you have is dependent on the size of your ear? And if so, who or what represents the wax? But I digress already...

There seems to be quite a bit of repition in this book and it seems to be pretty herky-jerky - probably not unlike my blog - but no one pays to see my blog.

GREAT THOUGHTS
1. Is actually point 3 in his list of learning a living - "When I was learned, knowledge was everything. Now that I'm a learner, kindness is everything." This just echoes that relationships and valuing people are the key compenents to life period. People aren't going to share with you or listen to what you have to share if you don't value them or care for them.

2. The components of a hearing aid - decompression chamber, selective hearing, self cleaning, hearing partners and play. I appreciated these and thought that they pretty much tell the story of the book in a much shorter and more concise way.

QUESTIONS I HAVE
1. If change is our only constant in an organic world, then how do we train ourselves and others to be ready and adapatble to change? How do we train ourselves to have effective filters to sift through all the information, sounds, noises, images and stories to find where God is moving and where its just hocus pocus?

2. Does anyone else have the feeling that Shackleton would have just been a complete jerk in any setting other than survival?

3. How do I find my voice in the midst of all the voices? How do I find God's? (and no I don't think those are the same)

4. If leadership is primarily about listenting, then why does it seem that a leader must speak to begin transformation?

5. How come I can't see Matthew Broderick as anything but Ferris Bueller after all these years?

1 comment:

Josh Kleinfeld said...

I was getting the same sense about Shackleton. "Made for survival" or something is what Sweet said. Probably not much to live with though. I hope that's not true of me.

What do you mean by your 4th question?

And Matthew Broderick is Ferris' pen name...