Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Bitter-Sweet

A few updates from the silence...
- REALLY tough day yesterday... enough said

- recently decided that I'm Sweet enough and we'll be moving on to another book or something soon. I'd love any suggestions for a focused reading and/or discussion from time to time.

- An incredibly great conversation recently involving Dave, myself and several leaders from our seminary faculty and a few others about the emergent church and how they as a seminary/denomination might be ideally placed in time to be a Boaz to many people who are in the church but can't keep on doing church the same way. It was truly a God thing that brought the convesation together so quickly and truly God was in the conversation. Good people. Perhaps this is all "for such a time as this". I thank God for the chance to be a part of the conversation and for the opportunities he's given me.

4 comments:

Josh Kleinfeld said...

B.,
Glad you're back.

M said...

Who in the seminary faculty was open enough for such a conversation?

On the note of a good discussion book: I recently finished Barna's new book "Revolution", but was not all that impressed. Not much in the way of new or inspirational material. However, I also started reading an older book mentioned in one of McLaren's writings and have been utterly impressed with it. "Christianity Rediscovered" was written by a now-deceased Catholic missionary, Vincent J. Donovan. It's interesting to see how post-modernism really isn't so modern after all since his thoughts were originally published in 1978.

Just a suggestion...

{jeff edmondson} said...

Brian, if I might jump on the most recent book bandwagon, I'd recommend Rob Bell's "Velvet Elvis." It is basically a lot of his sermons rolled into a book, but I found it an interesting read nonetheless. He makes some statements regarding Christianity at the end of it re: "People being in or out of Christianity," and how we should handle it that I've really been mulling over in my head. I'm not sure I agree with the theology of his statements, but the philosophy is certainly sound. I'll let you read it for yourself.

-jeff

Josh Kleinfeld said...

In response to Kipper's thoughts on Revolution: I agree that there is nothing really new, but I also think that for most of barna's audience it will be new. I think it laid some groundwork for pastor's set in their ways but wanting to understand the newer movements.

Also very interested in reading "Christianity Rediscovered."

I want to hop on a bandwagon if Jeff is on it.