Friday, September 21, 2007

Post Modern Youth Ministry Conference

I'm thrilled to be a part of this generative and fun event. Tony Jones has been excellent in all of his stuff this week. I really appreciate the authenticity he has brought to his own presentations and that I have seen throughout the conference.

I did a seminar today on "Theology Re-imagined: Conversations in a Post-Colonial World". We walked through the definitions of colonialism and post-colonialism talking specifically about windfalls and pitfalls of each. Some great reflections and observations from people about this. We also got into some of the "so what now... how do I do this in MY context." I appreciate these questions because I know people are wrestling with real time issues in their own context. My heart also yearns for a day when we don't constantly feel like we have to be approved by the structures that be and that we can simply be comfortable doing what we know God has called us to. Now don't get me wrong, I know that there are lot's of good reasons to take into account the system and relationships you live with and work in, so I'm not discounting that wisdom. I am hoping that we can find a few others to hold hands with as we step courageously into a new expression.

Which brings me to my highlight of the week so far. NYI and NewStart (Nazarene Church Planting) brought in some folks for a day before the PMYM conference started. It was truly life giving to me to spend time with these great people. God was in our midst as we dreamed together, shared together, and created together (more coming!). On a personal level it was good to be with poeple who love the emerging church and love the Nazarene Church, like I do. On a professional level it was good to see the professionalism, the passion and the excellence with which these folks do ministry. I have been SO sick physically this week, but I made sure to drag my carcass out of bed each morning to be a part of these conversations because they are so important and so valuable to me!

1 comment:

Josh Kleinfeld said...

BHULL ROCKS!

Yeah, I missed you all out there in that yonder land.

Great to hear that it went well.

Here's to further conversations for the furthering of God's kingdom in all contexts!