Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Loving people sucks sometimes

So we have all these kids in the neighborhood. That is okay. Most of them apparently have no parents or parents who sleep a lot because we seem to never see them. Or perhaps we've stumbled upon a new millenium version of Neverland without a Peter Pan. But I digress...

The point of the story is that they come over a lot. Sometimes to play with our kids and sometimes to play with our kids and their toys and sometimes to play with our kid's toys. You get the picture. Today when I came home some kids were over and one of them was playing with my kids toys, but not with my kids. He was being a little rough with the toys. So I just asked him to not be so rough and moved on... no big deal. Then he started being rough with them again. And again. And again.

[pay attention here's the point of the story] I found myself not wanting any kids to be around my kids and their toys. It was kind of bothering me. And then I realized that if we really want to love people and if we really want to bring light into darkness and if we really want to be about restoration, then we've got to live with it and in it and it around us. I know it's really obvious and I know this all in my head, but I guess God was making sure it is in my heart too: love wins. Not control, not hate, not anger, not fortresses, but love.

God help me to love.

And now for a really good picture to make us all smile. [we do live in tv land after all]

2 comments:

M said...

And yet I see your desire - and even the necessity - for correcting the child who came into your home and thought that his ways were acceptable for all. Love that tolerates everything loves nothing in the end.

Josh Kleinfeld said...

Kipper...you've always got the good points going on.