Sunday, October 22, 2006

Gardens and Plants

Using one of my favorite metaphors for our time, Brian Postlewait blogs on the feelings many of us have had and have shared over the years (and obviously continue to). I'm encouraged and disheartened by this post. Encouraged because of Sean's comment (thanks!), in the hopes that perhaps i might be considered some sort of odd gardener there.

I'm discouraged because we keep losing folks. Our "tribe" of Nazarenes, seems to be struggling with our identity. I'm fine with that struggle because I believe from where I sit that the voices of the many in this conversation are all still at the table and allowed to have their voice. However, it appears that what I would call the loudest voice (see squeaky wheel) of the fundamentalists seems to be the voice that most assume is taking control. I wouldn't be here if that were what I believed and I sure hope that is not the case. I understand the feelings - I've felt them many times - but I'm just trying to stand for hope.

I'd love it if you'd join me in this stand for hope. But I'm not looking to start and organization or a club. I just want to stand for hope in my beliefs and my actions within this crazy tribe, so that the organic growth of the Kingdom may show itself in me... and my tribe.

2 comments:

Josh Kleinfeld said...

so, you say that you think the loudest voices aren't taking control. are the quietest voices taking control?

what is control anyway? control in the sense of making policy? control in the sense of defining and living what the kingdom of God is and can be...?

James said...

We are struggling with our identity.
I find hope in the conversations, the growing friendships and the ensuing actions that are slowly taking place. I often wish there was a place for us to unite our voices... to make some difference on a larger scale, but I feel no rush to make this happen.
The past month has increased my faith exponentially that God moves in His perfect timing and in His unique way. I know he doesn't need any of us to force things to happen, he just needs us to trust, hope and be faithful. Peace.