Sunday, April 22, 2007


Flat Earth Part 3

This is part 3 of 4. If you're following along at all, your contributions in the way of comments are incredibly helpful to me.

Globally Speaking

In matters of church and religion, those of us who have grown up in the west have not truly experienced the massive oppression that colonialism brings. Perhaps we’ve felt the remnants (more on this in a bit), but mostly we’ve just enjoyed being a part of the WE and perhaps from time to time thanked God for bringing us into life as a WE and not a THEM. If we were extra strong in our faith and love of others we might even pray for THEM from time to time as well, hoping that THEY would be able to experience our model, adapt to it, see the error and foolishness of their ways and come around to the good kind of living. Rare was the person who realized that the model of WE might not actually be the best model for THEM and that the model of WE might actually harm THEM if forced upon them and might actually even harm THEM if WE continued to live it ourselves, after all it had worked for us, right?!?!

A great example of the struggle in this is the story of St. Patrick. George Hunter has a great book on St. Patrick, “The Celtic Way of Evangelism”, relating it to today that I highly recommend as background reading to this. The bottom line here is that Patrick went to Ireland and instead of bringing with him a specific model of how to “do church” he instead came as a missionary looking and listening for the places God was already at work in the people that he and his band went to share life with. Out of this kind of looking and listening approach Patrick taught first one tribe and eventually hundreds of others how to see God in what they were already involved in, to share the story that unites them all and to tell it in the ways that not only fit their culture and life but came out of their culture and life. Instead of assuming that he brought God with him to this place (as in colonialism), he started with the assumption that God was already at work there. As the church grew exponentially in Ireland the Roman Catholic Church from which Patrick drew his education, tradition, ordination and beginning resources, took great notice. What it noticed was that their model was not being taught, replicated or explained. This was a problem and eventually became a very large one for the Celtic church and for Patrick. In a way colonialism “won” that round, but perhaps has lost the war.

Globally this kind of “gospel share,” by inserting our better people, traditions, methods and models on others, has been wide spread. In matters of the church it has been the dominate model of “missionary” work. Again, this model is hard but potentially satisfying for the US and not so great for THEM. This kind of Jesus imposed has not been well accepted, nor has this church which claims to want to share Him.


Questions
I wonder in what ways has colonialism shown itself in the world you live in?

In what ways have you seen it do "good"? Are there any?

In what ways have we seen its harm? Please expand your comments above just "spiritual" things.

Does re-imaging any of this lead us only to a "new and improved colonialism"? In other words are we only going to re-do this pattern with a different model OR can we truly set a new course?

4 comments:

M said...

This has been my struggle for sometime now, Bri, and it's good to hear that WE do not struggle alone. I have been pondering lately how I seem to have more of an effect now than in ministry, primarily due to the fact that my superiors do not emcumber me with models upon which to rehabilitate our delinquent juveniles. But let me also add a couple of interesting secular facts that make the conversation rather interesting for me.

I heard at a recent workshop for adolescent substance addiction that it may take several exposures to the rehabilitative treatments before progress of any kind will be seen in the adolescents. Therefore, urged the counselor, institutions like ours must adopt patience and understanding when searching for results.

Secondly, the results, she said, must be re-evaluated. It is a good result to see decreased substance use, even if it's not the traditionally accepted result of total abstinence. It's still growth and thus to be celebrated.

Thirdly, I have no third point, other than to suggest that I can stand by my convictions that the delinquent acts of many of my kids are not acceptable, while holding to my hope that they can and just might change to become healthy lives among an unhealthy population. I can relate to many of them, even opening my mind to the wisdom and experience that they have accumulated in their brief time. And I can by my presence, and willing to listen and share, raise them to a new level of life.

Josh Kleinfeld said...

As a youth worker I have seen the effect of US and THEM language and thinking between generations, especially the youth culture and the boomer culture. As Cadence is crying right now I will not be able to develop this further, but will think on it and comment later.

Kipper, you bring up some interesting and insightful thoughts. Appreciate you both.

Brian said...

Kipper your last statement about, "even opening my mind to the wisdom and experience that they have accumulated in their brief time," is fascinating to me in light of this conversation. How do you - the one who is supposed to be helping provide some answers, or at least providing a safe place where they can discover them - NOT have all the answers? How is it that someone who does NOT, could give you any answers, any hope?

Of course I believe that they can, but the colonial model would suggest that until they first become "better" (which = like you) then they don't have anything to offer. It is a total reverse of power to say that they can offer you anything.

Hmmmm... I wonder if power and control isn't what this is all about?

M said...

Actually, I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about Bri 'cause I don't remember writing what I wrote. Mornings are a killer.

But I would suggest that control is definitely a major factor in Christianity, and rather ironically since Christians claim to yield control of their lives to Another. I have seen a similar behavior, however, in my children, always wanting to be better than the other (as opposed to wanting to be their best). And so both fail to see their own faults and failings, as well as the beauty and blessings of each other.

I have kids in here who claim to be a zillion other things, but definitely not Christian. Yet, though their actions are in total defiance of societal laws, their worldview is very much Christian; perhaps even more so than most Christians. The point where I am able to connect with them is not the one where I suggest the answers to their problems, but rather the one where I come alongside and pursue the right questions with them. It is absolutely amazing the power of a question to transform another. Maybe that's why Jesus was always asking 'em when others were wanting answers.