Monday, July 11, 2005

Youth workers unite - tonight

We had our last youth worker's meeting tonight at Bel Air. It was cool and tough at the same time. Probably what I expected that way. We ate together did a few nuts and bolts and then we just sat around and told stories! How great is that. Some highlights:
- The ski retreat when I said to all the adults on the trip at the beginning, "Whatever you do... don't get hurt." I then proceeded to run into a tree and sustain a concussion among some other injuries.
- The houseboat trip when Carol had just found out she was pregnant and I was driving the ski boat while she was tubing... then I launched her off this wave into the stratosphere - she got great air!! - and then having to pull her out of the water and have her almost kill me.
- The spring Middle School retreat when we were all outside at night in the woods, gathered round, the stars were out, the bugs were chirping - just nature sounds and us and God. I start telling them to focus on God and his creation and enjoy it and just listen - then this tractor trailer goes down the road somewhere near by - HONK! HONK! - Tony Steelman, one of our key leaders, starts laughing and just can't stop. So much for that God moment...
- The houseboat trip when some kids snuck off in the woods - of a state park in the middle of a drought summer - and let off some fireworks (which they were not supposed to bring and they all knew it). Then the rangers came buy and threatened us with at $50,000 fine and the confiscation of the houseboats which we were renting. Luckily they had mercy.
- Of the time I was filling on the softball team, playing second base, trying to help the team get their first win of the season and I let a ball go by that I should have gotten to that kept us from going into extra innings - and then I said a lot of Christian cuss words and threw a mini-sports-related-tantrum. Great pastor! Great witness! (When I am weak...)

And on and on! What a great night. Thank you God for surrounding me with great people and great friends! I'm going to miss them like crazy.

No comments: