Saturday, June 17, 2006

There is No One Like You

So goes the lyrics to David Crowder Band’s song about God. It really is true. As we were worshipping with 1500 high school students at Mt. Vernon Nazarene University and we were singing those words, I realized how true that really is.

One hour before I had been having an in-depth theological conversation about the emerging church and post-modernity with some people who have been pretty modern and known as such for quite some time. God opened doors for the conversation and while nothing was “settled” it ended cordially with some potential for continued conversations.

Earlier that afternoon I met up with my roommate from my freshman year at Olivet, Chris Riggs. The stories he has on me (with the evidence to back it up) could probably put me in jail! It was so good to talk with him and hear how God is working in his life and ministry. Who’d a thought 14 years ago that either of us would be here, in ministry?

One hour after the service I found myself in a room full of youth workers leading a question and discussion time over the limits we put on ourselves, our ministries and God because we often stop hoping. It was a great discussion. Afterwards Dave and I met up with some folks and began a long discussion on the failure of youth ministry in our churches (50-88% of kids who graduate from our youth groups never return to church). What a great time to re-imagine where we might be heading. Great people, great conversation.

God, there truly is no one like you!

1 comment:

Josh Kleinfeld said...

ah, friends.