Tuesday, December 05, 2006

BCS = Brian thinks College Football Postseason STINKS!

I will be the first to admit that I have not been lock-stock and two smokin' barrells sold out that a college football playoff is the way to go. I have a bit of traditionalism in my blood when it comes to college football. I like the rivalries that mean something because they've been rivalries for so long. I like the way college sports are broken down into leagues and that those games always mean more. I like that at the end of the college football season lots of teams have a chance to go to a "big game" and finish the season feeling like they accompished something. I like that while everyone will always say, "my team could beat yours," in college football there can be a lot of great teams who do well. The late, great Bo Schembecler used to always put highest priority on winning the Big 10 above anything else, and I think that thinking those ways helped a lot of people not be just good athletes, but good people.

I know there are many out there who have long disagreed with me and my thoughts about college football and the postseason. I also know your arguments so please don't send them to me as if somehow I'd never thought about the joy of clarity in determining a national champ on the field ("like in college basketball" you'd say, which i think is a totally broken and not appropriate anaolgy). I stood by thoughts and reasons when my mighty Wolverines could have played the cornpuff Cornhuskers and whooped their butts to outright when the national championship a few years ago. I have lived through the BCS fiasco year after year and yet somehow I remain loyal to the bowls and their system. I have also had to put up with the unfair, unscrupulous and downright completely biased agenda of all of TV to advance Notre Dame the school that should be ranked in the top 10 rarely, but always is AT LEAST 5 spots higher than they should be... because people want them to play in big games and come to their bowls because all their alumni are rich.

But NO MORE.

This year's farce of a finale to the season has brought me to change. It has shaken their earth to cosmic ptoportions. It has revealed clearly that the hearts of the NCAA and the BCS beat - which we all have known in our hearts all along, but have wanted desperately to believe wasn't true - money.

Now for my take on the issue at hand...
If I'm Ohio State, I definitely wouldn't want to play Michigan again. For one, if they were to beat Michigan again and Florida would somehow escape another team with victory, Ohio State would never hear the end of it. Now they have beaten Michigan and after they beat Florida they can say they've beaten all comers (do I get a Boise State boo-hoo?). Secondly, I truly believe they don't want to face Michigan, because if they had to play the Michigan team of the second half, they would lose badly. Hey, Tressel didn't with hold his final vote of the season because he wanted to be unbiased, he wanted to sleep at night... on second thought he did recruit Maurice Clarrett (maybe morality and ethics are such a big issue).

If I'm Florida, I'm thrilled to death. I've narrowly escaped at least twice this year games that I should have lost. I've got a young team for whom the extra time and coaching will pay dividends. Besides, I've lucked out and squeaked into the national championship game. Maybe now people will stop longing for "ball coach" all the time.

If I"m Michigan, I've gotten what I deserve. You have to win the games on the field that matter and you have to beat Ohio State if nothing else. You didn't. so you're at the mercy of a mystery computer (has anyone ever seen this computer by the way????) and some money hungry grubs who lock themselves in a room for a short time (I'm betting to compare notes on the best places to eat in different cities and talk about solutions to world peace.... er... well one of those).

Having said all of that... clearly the best two teams in football are Michigan and Ohio State. I don't think Florida has a chance against Ohio State. I think Michigan would destroy Florida as well. I just hope that the Wolverines don't quit the season all together once they get to Disney Land and that they beat the trojan off his horse against USC. That way people will be forced to talk about the reality of our situation... there needs to be a college football playoff to detemine the best team in the country. It's just not going to happen because it would expose Notre Dame as a first round out every year and the Wolverines as the best football program in the world.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Even as a "satisfied" Ohio State fan...it's tough to argue that the system is working. It is sickening to see the influence of the dollar in the whole process. Some of the bowl games might be enjoyable, but I don't think the top two will be one of them. Michigan should humble USC about as easily as the Buckeyes will roll over the Gators. And thanks for clueing me in on the "why?" of Notre Dame's privileged treatment.

M said...

Ya know, when you simply accept that the Buckeyes are the superior intellect (sorry, had to borrow from Khan there) then then it really doesn't matter what the BCS says. And thus it was that all was happy in the world again...

Tizz30 said...

There does not even need to be a long drawn out Playoff System. The top four teams in the BCS we play in two bowl games. The following week the two teams that win will play in the Championship game. I don't believe the people at MIT need to create this (insert Rocket Science joke here). Please don't give me the BS about a longer season. The Ohio State Buckeyes have 52 days off before they play Florida. Also, D II and D III have a playoffs system that works and no one is even asking for that.

Vegas: Michigan vs. Florida on a neutral field: Michigan giving six points!!! Herbstreit called right before he went crazy on ESPN the night they gave it to Florida.

I still think that Ohio State would be at least a five point favorite against Michigan (sorry Brian) but they will be double digits by the time the game starts in January against Florida and there is something terribly wrong with that.