Sunday, March 27, 2005

Easter... what's the difference?

Don't let this title fool you into thinking I don't really care about Easter or its meaning. On the contrary my dear Watson, (I always wish I could meet someone named Watson so I could say that) I find the Easter "season" undervalued and appreciated by most of those I know in church. So many of our Nazarene tribes don't even do any special services for holy week. I just don't understand that.

If we are to be the storytellers for our time and generation about Christ and the things of Christ how can we not use this week as a time to tell the story? I think we should be doing it with our lives - how is that week different? How am I different because of Christ? I think we should be doing it together in services/gatherings (What is Maundy Thursday anyway? Why does Jesus dying 2000 years ago matter to me today? What is the real story anyway?).

Of course most of us really love Easter. I think maybe its our love of pastels and new clothes:) Seriously, I hope that somehow in the midst of our full lives we somehow would find the space to realize that what was once dead... is now alive and that we can have that same new life in our lives as well. That's just good news!

No comments: