Sunday, October 09, 2005

Two dates and some general grumblings!

Saturday morning and early afternoon Carol and I got to go out. Carol set it all up. We went to the Kemper Art Museum and hung out looking at art, really liking some of it and not really getting some of it, and then we ate at the cafe in the museum which is awesome with art all over. We had such a good time just hanging out and talking. Then on our way home we had a little time so we stopped at an estate sale in a really nice neighborhood. It really makes you think about what you'll leave behind when you walk through someone's house and look at all their stuff that their family really doesn't want but played a role in their life. It's weird. I wonder what I'll leave behind for my family to sort through, sell, throw out and maybe keep? Although with Ebay and my increasing popularity there will probably be a high demand for anything that I've ever touched or used. (hahahahha... if Carol reads this she'll probably burn all my stuff NOW)

Then Saturday night I went with Meg and one of her friends to her school skating party (it was "Glow" night). Meg had never skated before, so it was a little rough for a while, but she did better at the end. I played the dorky, dutiful dad who got the pizza, helped make sure no one fell too hard and watched the table while they played games. It was funny to me, because I felt like such a dork, but also because of my memories of Junior High roller skating. That's a world I thought was dead, but found out its not. There are still the slow kids, the fast kids, the kids trying to tricks in the middle, and the really annoying rollerbladers/roller hockey kids. I took the same approach this time as I did when I was in Junior High, "knock everyone down... no one is off limits". Little kids littered the floor. OK, not really this time.

Today we tried another church. While I will not comment on its name or whether we will try it again... let me say this - is it too much to ask a preacher to actually think about what they are saying instead of just rying to come up with some points or principals that you can pull out of the air and apply to any situation? I'm beginning to think that it really is too much to ask.

My wife is mocking my old age, so I need to go to bed.

2 comments:

M said...

Right there with ya on the preaching, Bri. Listened to a sermon this morning (ok, I just got off of graveyard shift so I wasn't listening so much as nodding...and not affirmingly). on parenting that sounded like a pop-psychology lesson. Now if I wanted psychology, Church isn't the place I'd go for it. I'd rather get good psychology than this load of crap. But if I were going to church, psychology isn't exactly what I'd want or look for. I'd be looking for something to connect me to God and to others, something to heal, nurture and strengthen my relationships with Creator and creation.

Then again, maybe we are just a little too demanding...

Anonymous said...

HEY! It's Mel. I didn't realize that you guys had this site and now I am trying to read everything that has been going on in your life lately and it's a lot, ha! I miss you guys :( Tell Carol I said hi :)