Friday, February 03, 2006

Let's Push this conversation further...

We've been talking and commenting quite a bit on the homosexuality issue here of late. It all started with an article from Brian McLaren, a hilarious response from Mark Driscoll and then the following explosion of people's responses to all of that (including ours here).

Allow me to push our conversation along even more. It's been brought out that homosexuality is a huge issue in our culture and especially in our church. What's a God honoring and loving response to homosexuality? Is homosexuality part of the best way of life? These and other questions are all valid and are part of what drives the conversation we're in here.

But I would push this issue to an even larger scale. Our culture has questions not just about homosexuality, but about sexuality as a whole. What is a healthy view of humanity and sexuality? What is a biblical view? A Christian view? How do we live this out? How do we teach/share this life (with focus in particular on language)?

I believe our answers to these questions help us formulate better our responses to anyone who has questions in regards to sexuality and homosexuality. Let's start by grabbing one or two of the questions above and working through them. I'd love to hear others thoughts.

1 comment:

Ron Henzel said...

Brian wrote: "Our culture has questions not just about homosexuality, but about sexuality as a whole." I don't know--I think I know a lot of people from our culture, and I've spoken to quite a few of them about sexuality, but except for a few recent converts to Christianity not a one of them seemed to have what I would call "questions." They had answers--answers they believe work for them. I suppose we could refer to these as opinions. But the only "questions" they had were concerning what I believe about sexuality, and once I answered their questions they immediately compared my answers to their opinions and judged my answers accordingly.

Tom wrote: "Jesus said go and make disciples of all nations, not go and correct all nations." Let's see--the word "disciple" (in Greek, mathetes) essentially means "learner," or "pupil." Now, just about every single time I've been in the role of a learner or pupil, it has involved not only supplying me with information I previously lacked, but also correcting some misinformation that I had thought was true. Hmmm...