Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Stations of the Cross

I grew up Protestant and all that goes with that. I don't begrudge that history of mine, but there I had to "discover" some of the great things of Christian church history and tradition as I've grown into my own faith. One of those practices is the "Stations of the Cross".

There are a couple that are particularly super on-line that I've stumbled upon. My friend Josh and his youth group put it up in the church for their church (great to see the youth leading the church to the cross, yes?!?). You can join them here. Be sure to scroll down and see them all.

Also of great value to me is Spencer Burke's "Stations" from the ooze. You can journey through them here.

Our church commissioned an adult and a youth/child to do a painting on each of the stations. They put them up around the church and had a guide to walk you through them. We did it as a family and it was great. To use a term Tim uses often, "the time was pregnant with God's presence". Here is a pic from one of the stations.

No matter if you do it online or at your church or somewhere else, I'd just recommend taking the time to do it, to pause and reflect at each one, to listen to what is being said to you, to stumble upon where you might be in the story and to find the question that is being asked of you and your life at this time.

I think the question coming to me again and again is, "who is your neighbor?" Interestingly there is a great post on Mark's blog that tells a story and in its own way, begs this question.

1 comment:

Josh Kleinfeld said...

Brian, thanks for the shoutout.

Also, thanks for the link to Mark's blog. wow