Sunday, January 21, 2007

The End Will Look Like...

Carol's step-dad passed away this week. They were not close, but it obviously has been a big blow for her mom. We went to the viewing and the funeral this week and have just traveled back from Indiana. Some key things from the week...

- getting to spend time with Carol's mom, Carol's sister and family (who graciously hosted us and in return I made the world famous Mark Scandrette crepes), Carol's dad and wife. It was good to get to play, talk, eat, talk some more, play, eat and just be together.

- at the funeral the pastor mentioned heaven being "like dessert, it's just sweeter than life here on earth." While I appreciate metaphors around meals and the kingdom, I struggled with this "power truth" that wrapped up the sermon. Is heaven (the after life with God) really like dessert for only the good kids who ate their peas?

- I couldn't resist posting this picture and link. Every time we drive to Indiana across I-70, interrupting the rows of corn and flat land in Illinois is this giant cross made out of vinyl siding I think. I finally got curious enough to check the website. It says it's "a 198 foot Cross at the intersection of Interstates 57 & 70 in Effingham, Illinois. This site is intended to serve as a beacon of hope to the 50,000 travelers estimated to pass the site each day." It is giant. Not sure if it's how I'd spend my money (if I had any...maybe that's why I don't have any).

2 comments:

Scott said...

The fact that this cross is in Effingham (!), IL...does this say anything at all about it's aesthetic qualities?
:-)
On a non-sarcastic note, can something kitschy even be true?

And on a sarcastic note, I have some left-over siding in my garage from when we built our house and have been looking for that "special something" to grace our landscaping. Hmmm. I wonder...

Anonymous said...

Great work.