Friday, August 19, 2005

Office Space

While I am very NOT used to the corporate life, I have been fully indoctrinated as of late. I feel a bit like I've been transported to the world that I only used to read and laugh about in Dilbert comics. It's not really that bad, but sometimes you just think... uh, is this REALLY happening?

(Before I continue, if you have at all been wondering if I'm ever going to post some thoughts, as promised long ago, on "telling stories, throwing parties, making friends and giving gifts" that should begin tomorrow, if you haven't, then this is only a commercial!)

For example... I've been officially hired for a "temporary" position that will last over two years. Therefore the space that they've transformed into my office has been labeled temporary as well. In this same time that they've hired me, but before we moved into the office, they announced that in two years time they will be moving headquarters to another location. Pay attention, here's where it gets batty - we cannot hang anything on the walls of the office because its a temporary office and therefore we cannot alter the space or put any holes in the wall. In the words of my good friend and Jedi warrior, David Rebello, "Nice!"

Or this one, we had an all office lunch today. All of the NYI office staff were invited out to lunch. Before we went they gave us some options from which to choose so they could pre-arrange things. No problem, I understand that I think. So when we got to the restaurant they didn't seem to know where the orders we had faxed were. They tracked down the sheet and brought it out to us, but they had clearly not prepared anything ahead of time, etc. So instead of just going around and asking what each of us ordered, we had one person look at the list and try to figure out what each person had ordered. So he would ask you, did you order the number 5? yes you'd say, then he'd tell the waiter, "he ordered the number 5." And so on. Hmmm. (But I do not want to be down on the lunch or on going out to lunch. It was a good lunch with good people and I'm all for offices getting together for good and fun times... and if it happens to be paid for by them I would count that good too!)

I do like the people I work with a lot, so I praise God for that everyday. God is at work here there is no doubt, my prayer is that he would somehow use this goofy short white boy for his Kingdom. Cuz' he's the only one who could.

1 comment:

Josh Kleinfeld said...

I think this calls for a review of the greatest instructional video of all time: Office Space.

Yeeah...